PRIOR TO YOUR SURGERY
- Please make sure your pre-operative clearance visit with your family doctor or physician have been completed.
- Please discontinue blood thinners such as Warfarin, Plavix or Aspirin after consulting with your physician.
- Fill the prescriptions for your eye medications and take them in accordance to the instructions.
- Please obtain two bags of frozen green peas. You will need to bring one of the bags with you to the surgical centre.
- Please arrange for someone to drive you home on the day of the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours prior to the surgery. If you need to take a medication, please use a minimal amount of water.
BEFORE THE SURGERY
- Take any prescribed heart, blood pressure and eye medication at your usual time (with minimal amount of water if needed).
- If you are taking insulin injections for diabetes, use ½ the usual amount of long-acting insulin and do not take your short-acting insulin. Bring your insulin bottles to the surgical centre.
- Please bring the frozen peas, all the eye medications and any other medications prescribed to you
- Wash your face with soap in the morning. Do not wear any make-up, creams, or lotions.
- Do not wear any jewellery.
- Wear comfortable clothing that fastens in the front. Do not wear pull-over-the-head clothing, such as turtlenecks or t-shirts.
AFTER THE SURGERY
- Please be aware: your eyelids may be swollen and show noticeable bruising. The swelling usually resolves within a few days. A discolouration of the skin or feeling of tightness are normal.
- Apply the bag with frozen green peas to your eyes for 20 minutes, then let your eyes rest for 20 more minutes, and apply the bag again for 20 minutes. Continue throughout the rest of the day.
- Please apply prescribed ointment four times a day
- Rest for the first 24 hours following the surgery, making sure your head is elevated above the level of your heart.
- Sleep on your back
- Try avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Brufen/Ibuprofen/Voltaren)
- Avoid strenuous exercises and activities for the first two weeks after the surgery
- Sleep in an upright position, preferably on the back, for at least one week following the surgery
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol as it can slow down the healing process
- Increase your usual oral intake of multivitamins – especially vitamin C (not more than 1500mg per day)
It is impossible to list and advise regarding every possible activity. You must evaluate those activities not listed using your own common sense. If in doubt, please call Barossa Eye Clinic on 08 8520 6107
Call Dr. De Wit on 0870783663 immediately with increasing redness, pain, or worsening vision.