Dr Deric De Wit
Dr Deric De Wit is a local and international multi-fellowship trained eye physician and surgeon. He is qualified to offer a fully comprehensive ophthalmic care service having trained in cataract, glaucoma, oculoplastic, medical retina and refractive laser correction services.
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmology (FRANZCO)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmology (FRCOphth) UK
- Fellowship trained in Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Corneal Graft Surgery, Oculoplastic and Lacrimal Surgery
- Clinical Lecturer for Adelaide University
He has sub-specialist training in diseases and surgery of the anterior segment (cataract, pterygium, ocular surface disease, dry eye and corneal grafting), oculoplastic lid and lacrimal (watery eye) disease and complex glaucoma cases.
He completed his ophthalmic specialist training in the United Kingdom (Eastern Deanery, Cambridge rotation) with subspecialty fellowship training in both Cambridge and Belfast (Prof J Moore) and was an honorary research fellow in the Orbital and Lacrimal Clinic at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. He holds Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO) Australia and a Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth) in the United Kingdom together with a postgraduate diploma in cataract and refractive surgery (Ulster University). He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He has extensive publications in international journals (member of Cathedral Eye Research Foundation – registered UK charity) and has presented his research at multiple international meetings. Dr De Wit is happy to see both privately insured and uninsured patients.
Dr De Wit has developed a special interest in macula degeneration and diabetic eye disease to help treat and meet the needs of the northern Adelaide and rural South Australian population. He has recently relocated to South Australia for the specific purpose of furthering his research into cutting edge glaucoma treatments with industry leaders in the field.
Peer Reviewed Journal articles
- D de Wit M Hassall Canaloplasty case series for primary open‐angle glaucoma in rural Australia” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. Jun 2018 https://doi.org/10.1111/ceo.13332
- D de Wit et al Combination Topical Heparan Mimetic with Amniotic Membrane Transplantation for Non-healing Herpetic Neurotrophic Corneal Ulcer J Ophthalmol Vis Neurosci. 2017 July; 2(1):13
- D de Wit et al Effect of position of near addition in an asymmetric refractive multifocal intraocular lens on quality of vision J Cataract Refract Surg. 2015 May;4 1(5):945-55
- D de Wit et al Refractive lens exchange for a multifocal intraocular lens with a surface-embedded near section in mild to moderate anisometropic amblyopic patients. J Cataract
- Refract Surg. 2012 Oct;38(10):1796-801
- D de Wit et al Subconjunctival Injection of Triamcinolone Acetonide in the Management of Corneal Graft Rejection and New Vessels Journal of Clinical Pharmacology Jan 2012
- D de Wit et al Sutureless and glue free conjunctival autograft in pterygium surgery: a case series Eye (Lond). 2010 Sep; 24 (9):1474-7
- De Wit D, Rene C An unusual presentation of orbital varices BMJ Case Reports Jan 2010
- DOI bcr01.2009.1514
- Athanasiadis Y, De Wit D ‘Neodymium: YAG laser peripheral iridotomy as a possible cause of zonular dehiscence during phacoemulsification cataract surgery’ published online in Eye
- http://www.nature.com/doifinder/10.1038/eye.2010.49 (In press)
- De Wit D, Moore J. Sutureless and glue free conjunctival autograft in pterygium surgery
- Acta Ophthalmologica. 2009;87(s244 September):244.
- De Wit D, J M. Descemets Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty – How the learning curve is changing ESCRS 2009 1(September):89.
- Athanasiadis Y, de Wit DW, Sambare C, Al Barwani BM, Sharma A. Rotational importance of descemet endothelial rolls used for descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty. Cont
- Lens Anterior Eye. 2009 Jun;32(3):145-6.
- De Wit D. Novel antibiotic regime for pseudomonal scleritis complicating scleral buckling surgery. BMJ Case Reports. 2009 December 2009;2(11).
- Athanasiadis Y, De Wit D, Sharma A. Reply to Costa DC et al. Eye. 2008;23:744-5.
- Patel N, Zia R, Dewitd D, Morris S, Ionides A. Early structured core training of junior trainees in ophthalmology. Postgrad Med J. 2007 Dec;83(986):738.
- De Wit D, Lightman S. Emerging approaches to the treatment of uveitis: patents of 2000 –
- 2004 Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents. [Review]. 2005 1 July 2005;15(7):861-74.
- De Wit D. Adult onset uveitis following congenital Rubella Eye News. 2005 1 Oct(1):34.
- De Wit D, Gauba V. The use of a computerised chromatic contrast threshold (CCT) measurement system to look at the following associations: Therapeutic digoxin levels and CCT , Digitoxicity and CCT, Duration of digoxin use and CCT Acta Ophthalmologica.
- De Wit D, Rose G. Acute dacryoadenitis and the prominent role of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. Acta Ophthalmologica. 2004;82(4):458.
- De Wit D, Saleh G. Nd:Yag capsulotomy and its effect on refractive status in patients with silicone foldable lenses Acta Ophthalmologica. 2004;82(4):451.
- Resistant herpetic neurotrophic corneal ulcer successfully treated by combination sequence of matrix regenerating agent (RGTA, Cacicol20®) followed by amniotic membrane graft RANZCO 2016
- Functional outcomes for the Lenstec SBL-3 Dual Optic rotationally asymmetric refractive multifocal intraocular lens D.De Wit J. Moore ESCRS 2014
- Refractive lens exchange for a multifocal intraocular lens with a surface-embedded near section in mild to moderate anisometropic amblyopic patients. AOC 2013
- SoClear lenses aid GDx measurement in post keratoplasty patients SAE 2011
- Yag Capsulotomy as a potential cause of zonule dehiscence Athansiadis Y, De Wit D
- Hellenic Society of Intraocular Implant and Refractive Surgery (HSIOIRS) 2010
- Descemets Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty – How the learning curve is changing De Wit D, Moore J ESCRS 2009
- Sutureless and glue free conjunctival autograft in pterygium surgery – De Wit DW, Moore J EVER 2009
- DSAEK – the learning curve De Wit D, Raj A, Moore J RSM 2009
- An unusual case of orbital varices De Wit D, Rene C BOPPS 2009
- The impact of high volume cataract surgery service lists on junior ophthalmic surgical training De Wit D, G Saleh RCO Annual Congress2007
- Refractive changes post Nd:YAG capsulotomy on silicone monofocal and multifocal lenses De Wit D, Gourgoudis P, Saleh G ESCRS 2006
- Small pupils during cataract surgery: their role as a marker of surgical experience De Wit D, Hammond S RSM meeting 2006
- Nasolacrimal duct obstruction: digital subtraction dacryocystography compared to clinical assessment alone. De Wit D, Saleh GM, Gauba V, Tharmaseelan T ESOPRS 2005
- Nd: Yag capsulotomy and its effect on refractive status in patients with silicone foldable lenses De wit D, Saleh G, GM Gauba V EVER 2004
- Acute dacryoadenitis and the prominent role of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. De Wit
- D, Rose G EVER 2004
- Refractive changes post yag capsulotomy in multifocal lenses De wit D, Saleh GM, Allen RJ ESCRS Sep 2004
- The use of a computerised chromatic contrast threshold (CCT) measurement system to look at the following associations: Therapeutic digoxin levels and CCT ,Digitoxicity and CCT, Duration of digoxin use and CCT Gauba V, Ong GL, Saleh G, De Wit D EVER 2004
- The effect of localised conjunctival cautery on the rate and extent of sub-conjunctival haemorrhage (SCH) associated with sub-tenon anaesthetic (STA) injection in patients with various clotting states Gauba V, Saleh G, De Wit D et al EVER 2004
- The impact of cellular phone usage on ophthalmic equipment Saleh G, De wit D, Allen RJ
- EVER 2004
- Applanation tonometry in silicone hydrogel contact lens wearers R.J. Allen, D. De Wit,
- G.Saleh ARVO 2004
- An electromagnetic characterization of cellular phone interference with ophthalmic equipment and its clinical implications G.Saleh. De Wit D, R.Allen ARVO 2004
- Pre-operative biometry assessment accuracy of Ultrasound versus Zeiss Laser. N.Motwani, A.G.Gashau D.DeWit S.Chawdhary ESCRS 2002